Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Rudeness in the retail store 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

One caveat, I am always nice to check-out people, waiters/waitresses, for if you are not, they can make your life a living hell. Many years ago a waitress friend of mine mentioned that you should never piss off a waiter/waitress before your meal is served since they will be alone with your food!!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:33 am
Sovereign Woodsman

P/B wrote:
you should never piss off a waiter/waitress before your meal is served since they will be alone with your food!!

This is very true and sometimes people seem to forget this...I always chuckle when people are rude to their server, hehehe. You get what you give. I try to smile and be polite in general, though if someone wants to be rude to me, they might just get it back ;)

I worked for a couple years in a sandwich shop...the people we would get in there sometimes...OY! :evil: Don't miss those people at all.

Hikers in general (especially those that are more serious and not just out because they were driving by and "it looks so close") will at least smile and nod at you on the trail, even if they don't want to chat. I do the same. Being in the woods, it is a lot more relaxed than in the stores or whatever as well, people tend to be in less of a manic hurry, even if they are trying to get in a ton of miles that day.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:09 am
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

bikehikeskifish wrote:
I once visited Telluride for a week - my girlfriend at the time had family, and I just went for the flyfishing. Everyone in that town greeted me warmly and asked where I was from.

Tim

Tim it's amazing how friendly people are out ther. The two times I've been skiing at Breckenridge and at Vail and staying in the towns people have been unbelievably friendly and talkative. Maybe it's the lack of oxygen at that elevation?

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:29 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Well, New Englanders (apparently) have a reputation as being cold.

Tim

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:31 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Keep in mind that karma has a tendency to Bitch slap you at a moment’s notice. Case in point, you are in the checkout line and your cashier is moving at a glacial pace with that thousand mile stare. You quickly survey the other lines and calculate the items each person is holding and the time the other cashiers will take to process them. Once you are confident that your calculations are correct, you take one last look and then make your move. With the stealth of a leopard you slide into the other line seamlessly so as not to give even a hint of notice. You are so pleased with yourself that you allow a slight smile to cross your lips.

What you haven’t realized in your haste to outwit the natural order of the universe is that you have disrupted the Space/Time Continuum. And there are consequences.

Just as you make your move three other shoppers have entered your former line now making it impossible to return. The glacial cashier with the thousand mile stare has now been somehow transformed into a cashier with a mission to break the store processing record. Your new cashier is having problems scanning an item, and rather than key in the number, he just keeps swiping the barcode hoping that this time it will work. He even allows the customer to try a few times as they both chat amicably while the rest of us are trapped in a living Hell.

You suddenly hear what sounds like a European police car inches from your ear and you turn around to your horror and see a screaming child covered in snot with an overflowing diaper. Its siblings are in the process of dismantling the magazine rack while their pregnant mother stares off into space fantasying about being 16 again. You glance over to your former line and realize that you do not recognize a single person, for the three people behind you have all left the store eons ago.

You slowly come to the realization that your are trapped in a Kafkaesque nightmare as your gaze down at your lonely bottle of wine and wonder to yourself would it really be so bad to open it here?

Last edited by P/B on Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:44 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

P/B wrote:
Keep in mind that karma has a tendency to Bitch slap you at a moment’s notice. Case in point, you are in the checkout line and your cashier is moving at a glacial pace with that thousand mile stare. You quickly survey the other lines and calculate the items each person is holding and the time the other cashiers will take to process them. Once you are confident that your calculations are correct, your take one last look and then make your move. With the stealth of a leopard your slide into the other line seamlessly so as not to give even a hint of notice. You are so pleased with yourself that you allow a slight smile to cross your lips.

What you haven’t realized in your haste to outwit the natural order of the universe is that you have disrupted the Space/Time Continuum. And there are consequences.

Just as you make your move three other shoppers have entered your former line now making it impossible to return. The glacial cashier with the thousand mile stare has now been somehow transformed into a cashier with a mission to break the store processing record. Your new cashier is having problems scanning an item, and rather than key in the number, he just keeps swiping the barcode hoping that this time it will work. He even allows the customer to try a few times as they both chat amicably while the rest of us are trapped in a living Hell.

You suddenly hear what sounds like a European police car inches from your ear and you turn around to your horror and see a screaming child covered in snot with an overflowing diaper. Its siblings are in the process of dismantling the magazine rack while their pregnant mother stares off into space fantasying about being 16 again. You glance over to your former line and realize that you do not recognize a single person, for the three people behind you have all left the store eons ago.

You slowly come to the realization that your are trapped in a Kafkaesque nightmare as your gaze down at your lonely bottle of wine and wonder to yourself would it really be so bad to open here?

This might be the greatest thing I've read all day, except for the fact that my alma mater shut the campus down today for an hour because of a "weapon" sighting. It was an umbrella with a sword-like handle....... :roll: Still, great stuff and so true! :D

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:55 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

madmattd wrote:
This might be the greatest thing I've read all day, except for the fact that my alma mater shut the campus down today for an hour because of a "weapon" sighting. It was an umbrella with a sword-like handle....... :roll: Still, great stuff and so true! :D

Hah, you went to RIT too eh?

If RIT had a shooter half the population there would never hear it coming :-D

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3