Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Rudeness in the retail store 
Sovereign Woodsman

Rudeness in the retail store
WARNING: This has absolutely nothing to do with hiking.

Is it me or are people becoming more rude - or less polite - or simply, dare I say it...stupidly unaware of others?

I was in a store today, trying to decide the virtues of one product over another. Facing the products I was considering, I stood against the opposite shelving so I wouldn't be in anybody's way. This woman wheeled her cart down the aisle and stopped right in front of me. After re-arranging things in her cart for a moment, she then moved a few steps back to check something out, leaving her cart. WTH?! Last I knew, I'm not invisible. Drives me crazy!!!!!!!!

Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:38 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Re: Rudeness in the retail store
Kathy wrote:
Is it me or are people becoming more rude - or less polite - or simply, dare I say it...stupidly unaware of others?

*DING DING DING* We have a winner! :lol:

I have noticed for some time now people in our society becoming quite rude. I don't know if it is because we have slowly started gearing ourselves toward a detached form of interaction (all this communication through cyberspace instead of face to face, these "self checkout" stations at stores removing any contact with a human cashier, that kind of stuff), but it seems like too few people nowadays seem to really care about their fellow humans unless they see it on a news segment on TV.

But then again I am told I am very cynical, so take it for what it is worth. :wink:

Brian

Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:47 pm

It's not you. I find it happening more and more often. Granted I am the last person to complain because I am not a patient person but some people just deserve a headslap.

Examples
1. People that hog the time of a retail clerk only to never buy stuff irks me to no end.

2. People who insert a ATM card into an ATM and then turn around and ask YOU how it works.

3. You stop at Dunkin Donuts for a simple coffee and donut and the person in front of you has a $50 order and they don't offer you to go first.

4. People who insist on driving ten feet behind your car no matter the speed.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:57 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Rudeness in the retail store
Kathy wrote:

Becoming? More like people have become. I think that transition from a polite civil society to a group of self centered me first individuals has been complete for some time now. There are still a few out there that if they don't look out for others well being at least be respectful of them but sadly they are far and few between in my experiences.

I find the hiking community to be much more polite than most places and I try to at least smile and say hi to most people I pass hiking, if not converse with them should we be stopped. It's surprising how many don't respond or even acknowledge you're there.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:34 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Damn, Kathy. You should have made this one a poll! :) I definitely would have gone with "stupidly unaware of others". May I hazard a guess that you were in a department store? This is reasons 1 through 10,000 of why I don't particularly like the Christmas season. The stores and the people in them. To be fair, I am not the most patient person in the world but I am conscientious of others and it drives me nuts that other people just plain are not.

And Granite Guy, you are definitely on to something. I know this past summer, Julia said to me as we were heading down Wachusett, "Do you realize you never talk to people unless we are on the trail and then you say hello to everybody?" There is definitely a peace to be found in hiking.

Eric

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:01 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I agree with Brian- likely our detachment from others due to our technological distractions and ability to say what we want without facing the person, has resulted in road rage, dep't store rage, etc. I have noticed it for several years now- even clerks are impossible to deal with at times, throwing you your money, not acknowledging you with eye contact or a hello, etc.

My peeves are when I am in line at the grocery store and people's carts are TOUCHING you when you are at the checkout trying to swipe your card.
OR they move to where you have to pay before youv'e PAID and you want to yell BACK OFF I AM NOT DONE YET, since oftentimes I have to BAG MY OWN GROCERIES! I can't stand people getting in my personal space, especially when people start touching me just standing in line, or breathing down my neck. I really hate shopping and prefer to do it early in the morning before the crowds arrive to avoid human interaction.

Between that and the whole people getting on my arse when I am driving down the road, I just about at times become unglued. I try taking deep breaths, but usually my adrenaline is pumping by then. I think it will continue to worsen as time goes on unfortunately.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:05 am
Sovereign Woodsman

hiking lady wrote:
My peeves are when I am in line at the grocery store and people's carts are TOUCHING you

HA HA. Yeah, this reminds me of the time somebody moved my stuff in a shelter. We'd set up our bags and then headed down to the river. While we were gone, somebody came along and MOVED MY BAG. :evil: I was fit to be tied. Cathie and another friend with us thought it was funny - partly b/c of my reaction - and hung back while I blasted the guy. That is SO annoying, so I get where you're coming from. Don't touch me, or my stuff.

Whew. OK. Deep breath. :roll:

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:22 am

Important safety tip: give Kathy PLENTY of room if you pass by her on the trail. :lol:

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:06 am
Sovereign Woodsman

BobC wrote:
Important safety tip: give Kathy PLENTY of room if you pass by her on the trail. :lol:

LIKE! :D

Edit: But, as an aside, note Bob's signature line :wink:

Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:06 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I agree - people are rude and definitely not aware of others around them. That's one of the reasons I like hiking - because of the removal from humanity. I have to talk with people for my job all day, so sometimes when hiking, I don't feel like making small talk with other people, but I always manage to at least say hi and smile at someone even if I skip the small talk. My peeves: 1. people who invade my personal space - stand back
2. people who don't know how to manage their kids
3. people who block the entire aisle at the store, and then look PO'd at YOU when YOU ask them politely to excuse you so you can get by

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:57 pm

It is like every year on the "Black Friday" events I cringe expecting....and usually getting....the first news reports of someone in some store somewhere (usually a WalMart) getting trampled when the doors are opened. Are you seriously f**king kidding me? You self centered piece of s**t, a piece of crap "made in China" product is worth doing serious harm to your fellow humans!?!? It is almost like Romans watching a gladiator match. Animalistic pushing, shoving and trampling, only the prize you get for yourself is cheap junk. Be proud of yourself you scumbag, be oh so proud of yourself. :evil:

Brian

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:13 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

hiking lady wrote:
My peeves are when I am in line at the grocery store and people's carts are TOUCHING you when you are at the checkout trying to swipe your card.
OR they move to where you have to pay before youv'e PAID and you want to yell BACK OFF I AM NOT DONE YET, since oftentimes I have to BAG MY OWN GROCERIES!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way!!

It's funny, because I have to constantly tell my own kids to back away from other people's grocery carts. They talk to each other and don't pay attention, and they don't realize they're infringing on someone else's personal space. I'm trying to instill a sense of "backing off" in them, since I feel exactly the same way you do. With my kids, the issue is they're distracted and not paying attention. With adults, the issue is the bugger is impatient and thinks he/she can actually move me along faster by touching my arse with their cart. :roll:

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:13 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I find when you venture outside of the northeast corridor,(particularly from Philly through Boston), the rudeness factor drops dramatically. The rudeness and attitude seems to be spreading out of the metro areas and further into the rural. All the faceless ways to communicate have certainly helped with this. Seems like everyone in the NE is in a hurry. To do what, I don't know, but the rest of the country has the same daily issues and seems to be able to go about their business in a much more friendly manner. It's so bad here, that when you run into someone in say the mid west, you think they are kidding when they are nice to you. It's almost uncomfortable at first and takes time to get used to.
I agree that the hiking community is MUCH better in general at being simply polite. It also seems like the less remote the hike, the more likely your "hi, how ya doin today?" gets a blank stare or a grunt. I've split my life between the Boston and NY metro areas and say hi to everyone I pass (sidewalk or trail). A polite reply can be just is a nod of acknowledgment. Words aren't even needed.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:20 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I like putting things in other people's shopping carts...makes life more enjoyable.

:lol:

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:42 am
Sovereign Woodsman

You know, I have found you get what you give. I always ask the other person (clerk, tech support, customer service, etc.) how they are doing, and often tell them my name. It's remarkable how quickly you can get a smile and from there things go uphill.

Tim

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next