Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Happy Mardi Gras Everyone!! 
Sovereign Woodsman

It's true, New Orleans does have a lot of drinking. Bourbon Street is like Zion for those who want to let loose. But if you go a street or two over, you would never guess that all that is going on. Royal St is antique shops, art galleries, cafes, cathedrals, etc. The architecture throughout the city is unbelievable, the history is profound (having been run by both the French and Spanish with a deep island influence, involved in wars, and as a major shipping port), the culture and food are second to none, and the music.....oh, the music. To be able to walk down the street and hear different genres of music playing at each bar/club most of the time with no cover is amazing. And then there's the musicians playing on the street who, despite their un-lofty stage, could give anyone a run for his/her money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C3MGOKul34

Our first trip there we did spend a lot of time on Bourbon Street but each successive time we've spent less and less time there. It's pretty loud which can get to you after a while but the people-watching is FANTASTIC. We spend most of our time along the edge of the Quarter listening to bands and try to get out of the city at least once per trip to see swamps, wetlands, and gators.

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:11 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

New Hampshire wrote:
But then again I don't get the Mardi Gras thing anyways (I'll take a corner of Alaska with more moose than people per square mile over New Orleans any day :D )

Moose and mountains vs beer and b :shock: bs is at least a coin flip in my book.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:35 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Kelly...if you haven't already, check out HBO's series Treme. It's all about the local music and culture (post hurricane) in the Treme district, where real N'awlins music began: http://www.hbo.com/treme/index.html
Two seasons are in the books. It's eye opening and very well done.Most characters are musicians, chefs, bartenders etc.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:50 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Dave wrote:
Kelly...if you haven't already, check out HBO's series Treme. It's all about the local music and culture (post hurricane) in the Treme district, where real N'awlins music began: http://www.hbo.com/treme/index.html
Two seasons are in the books. It's eye opening and very well done.Most characters are musicians, chefs, bartenders etc.

I did watch all of Season 1 and then we watched the beginning of Season 2 but didn't finish. Should really get on that. The last time we were down there they were filming for the first season and we watched for a while - it was pretty cool to see that scene in the show.

We've enjoyed the show and really did like seeing musicians we recognized as characters (and Antoine's girlfriend - can't remember her name - was a NOLA resident during Katrina and was interviewed in When the Levees Broke - the directors of Treme must have liked her style). They also had a number of scenes at the Spotted Cat which is my home away from home while I'm there :)

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2