Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 OT - MOOSE FESTIVAL 
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

any forum has a group of people who are as they say "the man" for their time and place, and it's up to a new generation to fill that. It's obvious who these new generation people are now on the forum and once they finish their 48 they'll probably leave and a new group will step up while the old groups keep sitting around waiting to die.(jk but at a point sharing your adventures becomes less appealing as you see that most people don't care about things.)
Example: there was a report on vftt a while back about someone going up Liberty Spring trail and coming down Flume Slide trail. A quick browse through the photos they posted showed that they hadn't in fact taken the FST but rather had dropped straight down the face of the mountain. This went unaknowledged on vftt.(adkhp caught it I think).

It is disheartening when a genuine crazy off trail adventure gets less attention than a boilerplate "what direction to hike the Franconia ridge loop?" post.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:21 am

Oh, the Bumbling Bushwhackers are still out and about.

Several of us had been contacted by an unnmaed organization and asked if we'd stop publishing TR's on whacks.
Apparently the FS also reads the forums and has been using the info to remove cans from wilderness areas.
Probably on the same concept as the cairns on Lincoln Woods and the signs on Owls Heads.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:40 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

The FS can't figure out which summits are likely to have a canister on them without reading online forums? They lose their 3000 footers or HH lists? Too lazy to look for them unless they know exactly where they are? Typical for the bumbling lazy federal government I suppose.

Short of not writing reports you could always just leave out that little detail and say you never found the can and looked everywhere. Must not be one there so don't waste your time removing one! :wink:

Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:53 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Granite Guy wrote:
The FS can't figure out which summits are likely to have a canister on them without reading online forums? They lose their 3000 footers or HH lists? Too lazy to look for them unless they know exactly where they are? Typical for the bumbling lazy federal government I suppose.

Short of not writing reports you could always just leave out that little detail and say you never found the can and looked everywhere. Must not be one there so don't waste your time removing one! :wink:

Ah, that sounds fun. Confuse them with inaccurate reports on the forums. Sounds like a perfect fit for some of our dearly departed posters!

Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:22 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:

LIKE!

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:30 pm

Anyone see that new Owlshead sign?

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:09 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Absolutely. Big ugly non-conforming to wilderness regs sign. They should hike out and get it tomorrow! :wink:

Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:48 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Pucknuts61 wrote:
Oh, the Bumbling Bushwhackers are still out and about.

Several of us had been contacted by an unnmaed organization and asked if we'd stop publishing TR's on whacks.
Apparently the FS also reads the forums and has been using the info to remove cans from wilderness areas.
Probably on the same concept as the cairns on Lincoln Woods and the signs on Owls Heads.

Bill, what i didn't tell you yesterday when you brought this topic up, was that its not just FS that is removing them. Its a variety of people so while yes, its simple to get on line nowadays and google a peak and get beta on it (NE100H for example since everybody and there mother is doing it nowadays), it still takes some time to do.
Some of the canisters and jars on some of the peaks are actually a sort of "history waiting to be found (ie old timer names in them).
You can, obviously do what you want with any info as the "unnamed organization won't send "super secret ninja robots" to kill you if you do (they actually send SSN pirates)

Greg

Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:18 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Salty still exists, and apparently still talks in the third person.

It's a touchy subject, but the reason I stopped posting has nothing to do with bushwhack TR's (which I still publish and can be found easily enough, though I am careful to avoid things like jars and precise routes on private land for my own reasons, not because someone told me), or not getting responses to TR's of weird places. It simply had to do with piece of mind.

Mind you, before I say this, realize that the vast majority of folks are not like this, but it falls into the few bad eggs category. I just got tired of the Glory Whores ("I'm so awesome! I'm going to do everything possible to point out all the great things I did!"), and the Hike My Hike Know It Alls. No matter what you hike, or why you hike it, it's merely walking in the woods. Nothing more. PERIOD. Yeah ok, that's a strong opinion stated as fact, but I truly believe in that to the bone.

What I do is with humility, knowing what others have done before me. What accomplishments I complete are merely for my own satisfaction. Why I shared (or still do) is I've always enjoyed reading other TR's of offbeat places, which I still peek in here and elsewhere to see if there's anything neat.

I can deal with, and actually enjoy, a respectful difference of opinions. I just have developed a low tolerance for dealing with things I see as disrespectful at this point in my life, and it's just easier to avoid it. I'm happier for it. Yes, I miss the banter with a number of you folks on here, but I'm doing what's best for me.

Mike

Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2